Two days ago I went hunting for a recipe for the most addicting party dip dish ever – the famous Spinach & Artichoke cheese dip. When I think of that dish – I think of the former Bennigan’s (near Roosevelt Field Mall) and how it was nothing like I had ever tasted.
Fast forward to this week and I had offered to make this dish for a friend’s birthday party. I live outside of America and do not always have access to American products (like Philadelphia cream cheese) and decided to make do with what I could find in the local supermarket.
So here is my version of a highly addicting and delicious spinach & artichoke dip.
Smoked Paprika, Spinach and Artichoke Dip
You will need one pot + vegetable steamer, fine mesh strainer, a 8×8 lasagna dish, 2 small bowels and one large mixing bowel, a cheese grater, cutting board and can opener.
- 1 Bag of frozen spinach
- 1 can of artichoke hearts
- Half of a large white onion
- Half a cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Half a cup of freshly grated English Cheddar
- Half a cup of grated or thinly sliced Mozzarella
- 1 cup of cream cheese (or here in Israel – I used shament)
- 3 cloves of fresh pungent garlic
- 1 tablespoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder (I prefer McCormick’s for a strong flavor)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Vegetable oil for greasing the dish
- Turn on the oven and to 400 F (or 200 C)
- Grease the 8×8 baking dish (I use vegetable oil with a paper towel to cover the bottom and the sides of the dish)
- Defrost the spinach (I prefer using a vegetable steamer in a big pot on the stovetop)
- Grate the English cheddar into a bowl and transfer the shavings into a measuring cup to make sure you have enough. then return it back into the bowl.
- Grate the Parmesan into its own bowl, transfer the shavings into the measuring cup and make sure you have enough then return it back into the bowl.
- When the spinach has defrosted, place it into the fine mesh strainer over the pot and press down to remove any additional water. Let it sit there for 5 minutes to make sure all extra liquid has drained.
- Chop the 3 garlic cloves into small itty bitty pieces and dump into the mixing bowel
- Finely chop the half onion and dump into the mixing bowel
- Chop the artichoke hearts into small pieces and dump into the mixing bowel.
- Add the smoked paprika, regular paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and now mix
- Throw in the spinach and mix (using a fork)
- Toss in the Parmesan and English Cheddar and mix well with the fork.
- Now don’t forget to add the cup of cream cheese
- Add the 2 tablespoons of milk and mix again
- Place the mix in the greased 8×8 lasagna dish and bake for 25 minutes
- Pull the hot dish out and try not to eat it while spreading the Mozzarella across the top of the dish
- Turn on the broiler as high as it goes and put it the dish back in the oven for another 2 to 5 minutes. You want to take it out of the oven when the top has light brown crunchy cheese top.
- Serve hot with pita bread or french baguette or even your favorite corn tortilla chips.
Enjoy! Oh, and remember, this dish is highly recommended by your taste buds but definitely not recommended by your doctor or nutritionist